When I meet with local advertisers to ask what they’re looking for next from our industry, the answers are always resoundingly similar: new tools that engage consumers that are smarter, richer and are delivered in the right places and on the right devices.
We have an amazing opportunity – one worth $140 billion annually by 2015, according to BIA/Kelsey – to align our offerings with local advertisers’ needs to further drive consumer action and accelerate growth for their businesses. The potential worth for those companies that “get it right” in local advertising is tremendous.
In order to encourage innovations that engage consumers in the final step of the path to purchase, the Local Search Association today is launching a new awards competition called the “Ad to Action Awards.” Open to all local advertising providers, the competition is designed to bring forward the most creative and effective new local advertising products that drive calls, clicks and store visits for local businesses.
Unlike most awards competitions, the Ad to Action Awards will provide winners with much more than the usual awards plaque and ceremony. Winners will receive invitations to a private luncheon with Steve Wozniak, the Silicon Valley icon and co-founder of Apple Computer Inc., at the 2014 LSA Annual Conference in Huntington Beach, Calif., April 27-29, 2014. Winners will also receive broad industry support in testing, partnering and promoting their products so they have the best shot of succeeding in the marketplace.
Who Should Enter
Our awards competition is designed to encourage innovations in local advertising by providing low barriers to entry for companies interested in participating:
- All local advertising providers, including LSA members and non-members, are invited to enter their products to the competition. Potential entrants include but are not limited to: publishers, search engine companies, ad solution providers, local websites and social networks.
- There is no cost to submit an application.
- There is no limit to the number of products submitted by one company.
- Entries must apply to one of the following categories: Business Listings, Mobile, Social Media, Print, Vertical Specific, Video, Deals/Loyalty/E-Commerce, and Implementation.
- Entries must be products that are new to the market or have been introduced within the past six months.
A diverse judging panel of notable experts, analysts, media and practitioners from across the local advertising industry will review submissions and select winners for each category based on those that are most compelling and best address current market needs. The initial judging panel will include:
- Gordon Borrell, CEO, Borrell Associates
- Ken Burbary, Chief Digital Officer, Lowe Campbell Ewald
- Eric Franchi, Co-Founder, Undertone
- Becky Minervino, Chief Marketing Officer, Dognition
- Peter Minnium, Head of Brand Initiatives, IAB
- Matt Picheny, Group Program Director, MRY
- Paul Plant, Founder/Principal, Radicle Consulting
- Neal Polachek, Industry Observer, vSplash
- Sebastien Provencher, VP, Product Innovation, HomeAdvisor Canada
- Laura Rich, Co-Founder/CEO, Street Fight
- Hynek Stehno, VP, Digital Director, Local Spectrum (SMG)
- Greg Sterling, Senior Analyst, Opus Research
- Andrew Shotland, Proprietor, LocalSEOGuide.com
- Chris Travers, President/Co-Founder, Universal Business Listing
In addition to the private luncheon with Wozniak, winners will be partnered with a dedicated LSA team, who will bring together advertisers, agencies and publishers to further develop and test the products in the marketplace. In addition to recognition at the LSA annual conference, the Association will also showcase winning products in communications with its members and other industry leaders and influencers, in ongoing outreach to business and tech reporters, and through its digital and social media channels.
The Ad to Action Awards is an opportunity to not only honor the top local advertising solutions in our field each year, but also to put our full weight behind them so they have the best possible shot of succeeding in the marketplace. I believe that by putting forth our best innovations in response to key insights directly from advertisers, we will elevate opportunities for everyone in our industry.
Also learn more and register for the 2014 LSA Annual Conference at www.localsearchassociation.org/lsa14.