The survey, which was conducted by immr and Street Fight, asked 1,100 respondents questions about how they search and what they search for across 11 business categories. As I discuss in my column, the survey responses both enhance our understanding of local search behavior and confirm our conviction that small businesses benefit from implementing dynamic and comprehensive local advertising strategies.
My five key takeaways from the study include:
- As more digital devices become available, local search volume will continue to rise
- Mobile and tablet searches are increasing towards PC levels
- Local searches require that local business provide more complete content
- “Local” is not clearly defined, since consumers are willing to travel further for products and services when they believe its beneficial
- While a large share of consumers use local search regularly, there is a group of “avid local search users” who use local search tools much more extensively than others.